Saturday, October 13, 2012

Toaster Oven to the Rescue - September 8th 2012

    My poor oven met its match. I used the electric timer one too many times and pushed the control paneling into the oven. The repairman said at this point it is best to replace it so as of now I am without an oven. However two of the burners on the range still work. Apparently I killed the burners by using the wok, pressure-cooker and dutch-oven.

    My oven has been dead for about two weeks now and I have fared okay. I have a toaster-oven.

    The Baking Successes.
           It makes beautiful banana bread, beautiful sandwich bread, delicious zucchini bread and great corn bread. All of the times had to be adjusted a bit but it worked. I successfully roasted root veggies and made a few casseroles.

     The Baking Failures
           I made three chocolate cakes every one of them failed spectacularly. One was the consistency of chocolate pudding, one was like a watery lava cake and one was as tough as brick.  I also attempted to bake beans in the toaster oven. I've had success when in the dutch oven in the big oven but after soaking overnight and baking for 3 hours at 450F they were still rock hard. I ended up tossing them in the crock-pot to make black bean soup.

     The Surprise
           i.e. No One Thought This Would Work Ever In A Million Years
           I successfully baked a pumpkin, quartered and wrapped in foil for 2 hours at 450F.
           I also made a very tasty spaghetti squash, whole wrapped in foil and baked for 2 1/2 hours at 450F. 
           Butternut squash is best cooked whole and seeded once it cools. 1 1/2 he at 400F.
           Acorn squash is best halved and seeded then wrapped in foil for 90 minutes at 400F then stuffed with a warmed stuffing and baked again at 350F for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment