Saturday, October 13, 2012

9-8-12 raw oat mess no more cookies...

So my son is a little odd. He loves raw oats. I'm not complaining but wow do they make a mess. So I decided to try and come up with a raw oat delivery system on a tight budget that would meet 4 requirements.

1. Ben would eat it
2. It was high in nutrients
3. It didn't have a lot of sugar
4. It did not get scattered all over the floor while Ben tried to eat it.

2 cups raw gluten free oats
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp sunflower seed butter
2 diced figs
2 tbsp coconut yogurt or coconut milk

Mix all ingredients together and form into balls/bars/cookies. 

So how is this a tight budget breakfast?

A giant jar of peanut butter costs about $13 at Wal-Mart. Said Jar will last my family of three plus the dog about a month.
A jar of organic almond butter costs $26 but I only buy it on sale at half off and use it sparingly.
A jar of  organic sunflower seed butter costs about $8 and again I only buy it on sale at half price and use it sparingly.
Raw organic figs cost about 25 cents a piece and are packed with more nutriants than raisins.
I buy my gluten free oats at about $2.10 a pound from the bulk bin at my local health food store, Nature's Supply,
  Coconut yogurt is not cheep, it is around $7 for a pint. Canned organic coconut milk is not much better at $5.50, but it is so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment